Laying reclaimed parquet on suspended floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to lay some reclaimed parquet in the hall, which has a suspended timber floor.

What is the best way to go about this? Lay hardboard on the floorboards, then the parquet on that? I know that means removing and refitting skirting and also adjusting doors.

It has been suggested I could take up the floorboards and then replace with insulated boarding in between the joists, which would then provide a base for hardboard or similar. However it sounds too difficult to me. :oops:

By the way it's a 1960s house, and there's a 2ft crawl space under the house (which needs insulating, but that's another story...).

Sponsored Links
best solution would be fix ply to the existing floor and glue the parquet down on to it. Use a glue like Sikabond 54 or similar for the parquet

Just to say that if you did take the floorboards up and replace with ply, you'd raise the floor level in the hall less. If that's an issue.

If you are interested in the insluation issue, search the forum for "insulating suspended floor" for many observations on ways to do this.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back