Installing laminate floor on top of parquet flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We would like to put laminate flooring down in our place, and found that there is parquet flooring in the main living area only (after lifting the carpets up).

We do love natural wood, but for now just want to cover it up to be consistent with the other rooms (which will have laminate flooring installed) - at a later stage we might revisit and remove the laminate.

For now though what I wanted to get advice on is, what kind of underlay if any we need to use on top of the parquet flooring. I believe we should not be using any damp proof membrane as this would trap vapours or moisture already there and case the parquet flooring to start buckling. Is this correct?

Secondly, if we would like the laminate to not be too hard to walk on (firm) what can we use underneath that would be "breathable"?

This is the laminate that we would like: http://www.wickes.co.uk/enigma-oak-laminate-flooring/invt/215608/

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
I would advise using a fibreboard underlay, it should be 'friendly' to the parquet underneath and 4mm would be fine.

Definately don't use anything with a DPM.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back