Fitting Mixer Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to fit a new bathroom and have some reservations of fitting a mixer shower. The bathroom is already fully tiled and I am not comfortable about disturbing the tiles to fit the pipework, as I know that I will have difficulty matching replacement tiles. The wall which I intend fitting the shower is a non supporting wall (ie plasterboard) with a bedroom the other side. Would it be easier to fit the pipework by removing a section of wall from the bedroom side? I would be gutted as I have just decorated the bedroom!!

Doug

Sponsored Links
lots of people like to hide pipework and mixers in walls,i always advise people to run pipe work on surface in chrome pipes and surface mount mixer,as if mixer goes wrong it can be easily repaired.
lots of different types of showers around so what is yours is hot and cold feed pipes to be taken from under bath ? tank supply or mains pressure.
good luck[/code]

Ihave a combi system and intend running the pipes for the shower direct from the bath pipework. I've just started on the bathroom by replacing an existing radiator with a towel ladder. First problem.........the pipework is 10mm and all my come in handy parts from the plumbing projects at my previous house is all 22/15mm!!!!!!!! Builders of 10 years ago must have had a cheap lot of 10mm fixings at the time as you see very little of it at DIY outletsnowadays

get 10mm x 15mm adapters,either compression or solder type,then install new rad in 15mm tube.available in plumbers merchants.

still going to destroy your bathroom to install shower mixer.combi boiler requires a thermostatic mixer,as you already know.

good luck

Sponsored Links
It might be a lot less hassle to fit one of these.
p2008112_l.jpg

You need to have decent access to the bath taps of course. They come about £150 up. Aqualisa do a nice one , expensive though.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=77681&id=48700

doug
you can fit an aqualisa quartz shower which involves taking the hot and cold to a processor in the loft and the fed pipe to the touch pad is iinside the riser rail. Easy to fit, 25 mm hole from the ceiling and you get all the fittings with the kit. They are not cheap but the do work. Make sure you ask the merchants for one that goes on a combi system and its the 'off the wall' one. If not chris r 's choice is the easiest.

Eventually managed to fit the mixer without too much difficulty. By removing the tiles from below the bath line, it was quite easy to pass the pipework up through the stud wall. Fortunately the nogging was just at the correct height for the mixer position and the only tricky bit was drilling and enlarging the two entry holes to connect the mixer. Being level at the first attempt was a bonus!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back