Fitting new bath. Cut bath into walls or fit a smaller bath?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I wonder if I could ask for some advice please. I need to replace an old imperial sized bath that is installed in a recess between two brick walls measuring 1665cm. We need to install a shower bath that is available in 1600cm and 1700cm. I have a couple of quotes to do the work. One suggests using the larger bath and cutting the ends in to the walls each side of the recess. The other said this is a bad idea and he would fit the 1600 with a fill in section one side. I just wondered if it is usual to cut a larger bath into the wall or whether the smaller bath would be the usual way of doing it. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
My old bath was cut into the wall.
I think it probably depends on your actual bath model and taps?
5cm is a reasonable amount but what sort of overhang does the non tap end have?
If you could recess the tap end a bit, but bias towards the other end would it work?
It may also depend on how deep your plaster is (mine is pretty thick) and if you plan to tile, or possibly use glass or a similar backing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back