Fitting new chimney pot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm having a new gas fire installed soon only my chimney has been slabbed over at the top. I will be having the chimney sweept and tested but would like to fit a new pot my self.

Is it as simple as removing the slab and cementing on a new pot. I intend to fit a cowl over the pot as well.
Also a couple of air bricks in the chimney which I will replace with bricks for obvious reasons.

Any further advice? I will upload a picture of chimney this evening...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
To have a cowl over the pot have a look at a dfe pot.

This type of pot has a full opening.

Check manufacturers advice for fitting but if it is the same as a Marley dfe pot it gets fitted perpendicular to prevailing winds.

Google satalite view is a handy reference to how your house is sitting.

What type of fire are you having fitted?

Andy.

To have a cowl over the pot have a look at a dfe pot.

This type of pot has a full opening.

Check manufacturers advice for fitting but if it is the same as a Marley dfe pot it gets fitted perpendicular to prevailing winds.

Google satalite view is a handy reference to how your house is sitting.

What type of fire are you having fitted?

Andy.

It will be a normal decrotive gas fire.

Sorry whats dfe? And is it as simple as removing the slab in top of the chimney and cementing on new pot?
I'm a sparkie so pretty handy and this type of thing but just want to get it right.
I have uploaded a picture now too..

Sponsored Links
it may be easier to leave the slab in place to cover the other flues and cut it in situ as moving it may be treacherous.

If you remove it you will see its all pretty straight forward but have a few bits of slate etc ready to catch any corners where the pot doesn't totally cover the flue opening. Also be prepared for the loose bricks etc that may need re-laid.

r896neo";p="2035394 said:
it may be easier to leave the slab in place to cover the other flues and cut it in situ as moving it may be treacherous.

If you remove it you will see its all pretty straight forward but have a few bits of slate etc ready to catch any corners where the pot doesn't totally cover the flue opening. Also be prepared for the loose bricks etc that may need re-laid.[/qu

I think I'll get away with removing just the one slab so won't have to touch the others hopefully.

Ok I see the dfe pot but I was planning on getting a reclaimed pot so it matches the house.

How does a normal pot vary? Is the pot just what matches or is there certain pots for certain chimneys?

For a decrotive or ilfe gas fire you will need a full opening. A dfe pot will give you this and also the cowl which you are asking for.

A gas installer should be able to advise which pot will be suitable.

Andy.

Is it as simple as removing the slab and cementing on a new pot. I intend to fit a cowl over the pot as well.
Also a couple of air bricks in the chimney which I will replace with bricks for obvious reasons.

Any further advice?

You obviously need to uncap it and get it swept - that's your first job. Then you need to get it smoke bombed / tested by an RGI - it may need lining. It's pointless (imho) buying a pot at this stage as you may need a flue terminal to fit your potential new liner which may/may not work...

Any further advice?

You obviously need to uncap it and get it swept - that's your first job. Then you need to get it smoke bombed / tested by an RGI - it may need lining. It's pointless (imho) buying a pot at this stage as you may need a flue terminal to fit your potential new liner which may/may not work...

Thanks guys for the helpful advice..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back