Five years of paint bubbles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

For the last five years, I have had to repaint the same areas in our conservatory as bubbles develop in certain parts of the wall. The areas are in the middle of the wall.

95 % of the wall is fine and requires no attention.

I have put tissue paper around areas where water may have seeped through but these have remained dry.

In one or two areas I have gone back to the breeze block and re-plastered.

I have tried using an oil based paint (Wickes interior stain cover).
Conservatory Wall Paint Bubbles (5).JPG
Conservatory Wall Paint Bubbles.JPG
Conservatory Wall Paint Bubbles (5).JPG

I have attached some pictures.

Has anyone any further ideas?

Many thanks
Jimbo

Sponsored Links
It's efflorescence and is generally caused by moisture in the walls activating salts which push to the surface causing the bubbling you have (blooming).

Even when the walls are dry, it can take years for the salts to stop forming. The best thing you can do is scrape away all the loose stuff, ensure everything is completely dry and apply a coat of alkali resistant primer to the area. Once dry, you can fill and sand the damage so that you have a smooth new surface to paint. The important part is not adding any form of moisture to the substrate until that primer has been applied.

It's not a 100% guaranteed remedy, but works in most cases, although efflorescence can be notoriously difficult to cure.

Hello Misterhelpful

Thank you so much for replying.

I've checked Homebase & Wickes for "alkali resisting primer" and have not come up with a match.

Have you any idea where I might but a small tin?

Many thanks
Jimbo

Small tins are difficult to come by, but you might find an independent paint shop selling something like a 250/500ml tin of Blackfriar brand, If not, you can try Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3 PLUS, which has alkali resisting properties, although I haven't used that product for efflorescence. Some Masonry stabilising solutions can also be used, but you would need to check the product to verify each one.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your help Misterhelpful & Bosswhite.

I'll let you know what happens in due course.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back