fixed toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some might remember my toilet had trouble flushing a while back.

Today I repaired it. What a mess. When I took the old syphon out, the diaphragm had torn down the middle. Dont know how. Nothing to tear on.

The wingnuts under the pan were very tight, I had to bend and twist every position imaginable to get them undone.

The old <metal bit> between the pan and cistern was badly rusted, and this had spread so it all needed cleaning before I put it all back together.

I bought a torbeck valve to replace the filling valve, but it didnt fit - the flushing handle and the syphon were in the way. So i refitted the old fill valve with its ballcock. It would have fitted on the other side in the unused overflow hole.

I fitted a new <metal bit> and tightened the bottom of the syphon an extra half turn with the grips. Fitted new donut and refitted the cistern. The first time, it was dripping quite badly, constantly from the wingnuts. I figured this must coming straight from the cistern as I hadnt flushed it yet.

So I removed the cistern again and gave the nut another half turn.

Now it it just dripping, maybe once an hour. I can live with that for a DIY job. Will get it fixed next time my plumber friend comes round.

Something I hadnt expected happened when i turned the hot water on to clean the toilet. Water started coming from the open pipe to the toilet! So I stood there with my finger over it, wondering why this was happening! Then it dawned on me, the ballcock in the tank in the loft had opened, freeing up all the water in the riser to it! So I surrounded the pipe with a towel, ran downstairs and turned on the kitchen cold tap! Oops. Lesson learnt!

Just thought I'd tell you all about my day!

Sponsored Links
Plumbers and heating engineers don't care about your day Stevieboy!
Should've posted in DIY disasters :p

Ones in Surrey don`t - :LOL: . But your story goes some way to justifying the charges for even simple jobs - simple for us , that is ;) Just off truffle hunting on God`s own forest now , ta ta :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back