Fixing a mirror to a wall but concerned about what is behind

awm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this is probably a simple solution but as a novice I just wanted to make sure. I'm hoping to fit a mirror to the wall in the pictures below, it is a dividing wall between a bedroom and my hallway. Photo 1 is where I want to fix the mirror, photo 2 is the middle between the 2 sides and photo 3 is the other side of the wall where you'll see there is a radiator which is my concern, as well as a mains socket on the side underneath where I want the mirror to go. The mirror is 48" high.

I have a joist detector and have used it on the wall in the areas where I want the screws to go into the wall and it is coming back with some beeps but I really don't know what to think of it. I assume that the pipes from the radiator go under the floor boards and the same with the electricity.

I'm looking for some advice, is it safe to go ahead and screw into the wall or not?

Thank you,

Alex

P.S. Sorry if the images are sideways, you'll just have to tilt your neck a bit! ;)[/img]

Sponsored Links
The unintuitively named 'safe zone' means its where cables can be run. Directly up, down, or sideways from a socket generally. Pipes you can see going down to the floor void.

Sponsored Links
Okay, so how far above the socket do you think I need to fix the mirror to be safe.

Picture an imaginary line running from the socket to the ceiling, the line being the width of the socket. That is where the cable might be, so do not drill or screw into that area.

Okay of you look at the image below you'll see the small x's where I intend to drill the holes, do you think this is safe?

As long as they are ethier side of the socket (and the cables have been correctly installed) you will,be fine.

Okay thanks! I'll turn the electricity off beforehand just as a precaution.

I assume from your comments that I am right in thinking there's no chance of any other pipes being there.

I know it was a simple job but I really appreciate your help, I just wanted to be sure I was safe, turns out, I was! Thanks...

Alex

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back