Fixing a wall plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had to replace a section of wall plate because it was rotten. I used wood of the same width and thickness as the original 4x1. I have fixed the joists to it using a skew nail but I can now lift the joists and the wall plate comes up to, obviously. It's all very loose and springy now :cry: . I'm assuming you can't screw the wall plate to the sleeper wall as it would make a hole in the DPC. The length of section I replaced was about 1.5m and there are 4 joists resting on it. It is in the corner of the room if that makes any difference.
How I can sturdy everything up?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
This does happen, re-bed the wallplate again and leave it for as least a couple of days and instead of nails use a drill for a pilot hole then use screws with a cordless drill. The reason for this you're not bashing the wallplate about with the hammer, need a lot of care when doing this.The way I do my dpc on the wallplate is to glue it with bitumen paint onto the 4"x2" wallplate then bedded onto mortar

you could always notch in some galv bent straps and drill and fix lower down, or even concrete them in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back