Fixing a window - What is the most secure way of doing it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to refit a uPVC/PVCu window and I need some window fixings.

The house is build from no fines concrete so it's very difficult fixing into it securely. There are some window frame anchors which might do the job, such as these:
22691.jpg

What I need to know is the measurements given are 10mm x 120mm, the 120 is the length but what is the 10mm? Is it the screw head diameter or the diameter of the screw shaft? I presume it's the head diameter but want to be certain. They also do an 8mm variety plus longer 140mm versions. I was thinking about the 10mm x 140mm. Or is there anything better for no fines?

What would be the best method to fix securely into no fines concrete? I had an idea of using pinkgrip to secure the window anchor before tightening it up. However it's whether the pinkgrip would stick it all together preventing the screw from going in or being tightened up.

Does anyone have any ideas on the best way of fixing into no fines? If you don't know it's large aggregate up to about 25mm long stuck together with a tiny bit of cement. When drilled the aggregate is broken apart creating a hole a fair bit bigger than needed. The smallest drill might be needed to lessen the hole size but experience suggests that the hole could be fairly loose for the window anchor, which is why I think I might need something to help fix it

Maybe some cement or concrete repair epoxy.

Can anyone recommend the best technique for securing the window? Security is a concern in my neighbourhood so it must be very secure. My GP/Doctor had a window cut out and removed so thieves could steal a flat panel TV. That is less likely because of neighbours but with the thieving toerags around here, anything is possible. Sawing through a window anchor using a hacksaw blade wouldn't be that noisy.

Suggestions please.

Sponsored Links
There is no best way of fixing the frame, because the building is made up of small stone's. I would glaze and wedge frame into place and use fixing foam then remove wedges and foam where missing. Repair/patch render, sometimes the only places you will get a fixing is the head and cill. The only thing i can say about getting your window cut out is, unlucky. You cannot do anything about it unless you put shutters or bars up. The fixing side of it is 10mmx120mm=10mm drill bit. Hope this helps

It wasn't me who had the window cut out, it was my GP's surgery and it's just an example of what the thieving toads will do. If I ever caught one of them.......

I have heard about some window companies using foam to stick in windows before but it's not something that I will ever do. A mechanical fixing is needed IMO. The windows currently have mechanical fixings but it's not until I take them out that I will see how they did it. However I have doubts whether the fixings I listed above are going to work in no fines concrete because they don't look like they will provide any grip. They might be the best thing since sliced bread for regular brick houses but probably not for N/F.

Thank you for clearing up about the sizes for that fixing, it makes sense.

Sponsored Links
You've not got many options because of how your house is built. Drilling on hammer or not makes little difference. when drilling there is a hole a lot bigger than the drill bit plus it will end up bent, twisted and the end glowing red lol. Vibration bouncing off the stones. You could try and wedge some bits of wood in the reveals before the frame goes in then screw into them. Then use fixing foam and render back up. The old frame are fixed using a y shape t piece screwed from frame side, big flat headed screwdriver needed. Thats if its the oriniginal metal crittall window frames.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back