Fixing and Finishing Plaster Coving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just about to start putting up 90mm coving in a hallway (I can only handle so much Christmas TV/Relatives/Alcohol), can anyone recommend an adhesive? Is it my imagination or did someone recommend using Gyproc Easi-fill?

Also any pointers on painting paper faced coving would be welcome.

(Also posted in decorating, not sure which one to post in)

Regards

Rob

Sponsored Links
I'd use Gyproc cove adhesive, 12.5kg bag/5kg bag,, or i often use Gyproc joint filler, 12.5kg bag. Make sure you provide a good key on the wall/ceiling for the coving to adhere to. I've even seen people use ready mix tile adhesive, but i prefer something that "sets". Don't make up too much at a time, and also, it's wise to cut a few pieces of cove, ready for fixing before you mix up the stuff.

Roughcaster.

Rough

Thanks, given how long I have had a bag of Easi fill, I'll just go for a 5 Kg bag of adhesive.

How is likely to take to set?

Regards

Rob

Most of these powdered adhesives give you around a good hour or so "at least" to work with,, but make sure the mixing bucket/container/water is clean. As i said earlier, dont make up too much at a time. Once it starts to go off, you'll get lumps appearing in the mix, when that happens, "clean" the bucket out and mix some more. Always use cold water to mix with.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
Rough

Great, really helpful. So need to handle in the same way as Easi fill.

Regards

Rob

The very same way Rob. As regards to painting the coving, i normally give it 2 or 3 coats of matt emulsion with a brush, and that's it.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back