Fixing architrave and skirting board in place

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How are architraves usually fixed in place? Looking at my door, I see about half an inch of wood next to the door, and the rest of the width is plaster. How should I fix it?

I have two metre-long lengths of skirting board, joining at right angles, to fix to a plaster surface. How should I do it?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Set the edge of the architrave back about 1/8" from the edge of the door frame. Pin through about 1/8" to 1/4" from the edge of the architrave.
Fixing the skirting,, Either use plugs and screws or consider glueing it with no nails, sticks like s**t or similar. Where they join at right angles (i assume it's either an internal or external corner) either scribe one into the other (internal corner) or mitre them (external corner) ;) ;) ;)

As a matter of interest, why mitre outside corners and not inside ones? I know it's the correct way to do things but I'm curious as to why exactly you should scribe rather than mitre.

I presume this was advised because it is easier than a mitre to do and doesn't look too bad. However, a mitre looks better, in my opinion.

Sponsored Links
As a matter of interest, why mitre outside corners and not inside ones? I know it's the correct way to do things but I'm curious as to why exactly you should scribe rather than mitre.
Internal corners are scribed to allow for movement of the timber. If you do a mitre on an internal corner, when the timber shrinks, the mitre will open up far more than a scribed corner would. ;) ;) ;)

Thanks.

Scribing a skirting board - do I use the other board to draw the profile outline, and then saw it? What kind of saw should I use?

Would "No Nails" be OK for the architrave, perhaps with a couple of pins to hold it while drying?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back