27 Dec 2013
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I've had my upstairs all re plastered\painted and I'm down to the decorative bits - skirting, architrave, touching up door frames and new doors.

The skirting I am OK with. However I'm at a bit of a loss with the architrave having never done it before. The plasterer has plastered over the wood frame, but its not all plastered to the edge - its like a wave where parts of the frame are covered in plaster and overs not. My point here, is that if the architrave went on I would have a big gap running down the edge from inside the door frame.

What do I do here? Do I knock back the plaster so the frame edge is exposed, sand it down, pack with thin wood level with the wall and then glue architrave? Or do I glue the architrave onto what I already have and then fill the gap in with decorators caulk? I've heard of rebating the architrave, but I don't have a straight edge - the plasterer has sort of wiped his trowel off on the frame so some of the frame doesnt have plaster on it. And should a plasterer be plastering over wood in the first place?
Sponsored Links
It sounds like he has done a real bad job. The frame should not be plastered over.

Unless the frame was not proud of the block work/stud walling.

A shim of frame could be added.
Sponsored Links
Quite common in my experience and I generally go down the rebating route. Take off any plaster sitting on the face of the lining to give you something solid to fix to and rebate the archs accordingly , no need to worry about a straight edge the rebate isn't seen so doesn't need to be the prettiest thing in the world and besides it's depth will vary to suit the amount of " excess " plaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local