Packing out achitrave. Plaster not flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have been preparing door frames ready to install new achitrave.
So far i have took off existing architrave and given door frames a good sand as they were in a bad way. Just put some wood filler in any larger gashes etc ready for another light sand over the filler.

Not only has the existing architrave pulled off quite a bit of plaster (Another job to do). The plaster protrudes outwards meaning its not flush with the frames and will look silly with the new architrave (69mm).

What is the best way to pack out the architrave? I was thinking of glueing and clamping a thin strip of some sort of moulding to the rear of the architrave and it being this strip that actually butts up against the door frame.
Is this ok? What the best material? And once primed and painted will you be able to see this extra strip when the door is open etc etc.

Any better ways?
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Remove the architrave from around the door frame.
Supply and fit a new piece of timber around the door frame (eg 6mm x 20mm) Glued and pinned.
Then you can refit your architrave back onto this new timber giving you an extra 6mm height.

Andy

you could also remove 6mm or what ever is requires from the last 12mm with a router this is a better method if only one side is affected as you can loose the variation out off site across the top

Thanks guys. Andy your method sounds like what i was on about but instead pinning the strip to the existing frame. A much better way, thanks.
I will do this but as its all around the door including the hinge side, how will i get around the hinges. Will i have to reposition the hinges slightly bringing the door out by an extra 6mm flush with the new frame?

Big-all, not quite sure what you mean here. Do you mean remove the last 6mm from the height of the strip to be installed?

Sponsored Links
Once the new timber is glued and pinned, let the glue go off. Then cut the timber to match the hinges.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back