large gap between plaster and door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I see there are many similar posts in here but each is slightly different. I am redecorating room and wanted also to refurbish the door frame. There were many cracks between door frame and the architrave. After cleaning the door frame up I was left with this gap between architrave and the door frame. The gap was filled with some kind of caulk. I guess this was the problem that the gap was too wide and the caulk was not made to fill such large gaps.
The gap on top is around 9mm. It gets smaller down the door. The wall is uneven and the plaster is protruding causing the gap at the top.
What options do I have to close the gap?
I would prefer no to remove the architrave. Is there any special type of filler for such larger gaps? Or is there a better way?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_9651 copy.jpg
    IMG_9651 copy.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 212
Sponsored Links
There is a better way but you prefer not to do that.
are you thinking I should chase out the plaster to bed the architrave in? But then I'm gonna end up with the outer edge of the architrave being like buried in the plaster. The architrave is only 12mm thick, so bedding it 9mm into the plaster to cover the gap will not look nice from outside I think?

And a gap or a messy filled joint (which will fail again in the future) will look better? I agree with @foxhole - the only way to get rid of the gap is to fill it with wood, be that an architrave or a thin timber fillet with an architrave on top of it.

Sponsored Links
Ok, I added 6mm stripe all over, glued to the door frame. I am thinking of using 2 parts wood filler to hide the unevenness between the wood stipe and the door frame. Or is there a better way?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_9653.jpeg
    IMG_9653.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 129
So after adding the 6mm strip between the frame and the architrave all looks nice and neat. So far I've prepared it for the final coat of paint. But, I am struggling now to find door with right thickness and size. The door stop stayed where is was initially so I need thicker door which dont seem to come in the size I need. The original door was 35mm so I've been trying to find 40mm door - 1981x838.

So it sounds I need to go with 35mm door as dont want to pay for bespoke door.
Do I buy 5mm stormguard rubber strip to stick it onto the door stop in order to get the recess back to 35mm
Or, do I site the hinges further into the recess by the 6mm
Or, do I redo the door stop all together

Doors come in 35mm, 44mm and 50mm thicknesses unless bespoke manufactured. You could always just fix a door stop to the floor to limit the door opening angle and leave the door where it is, or you could reposition the hinges, the keep and move the stop laths (FYI door stops are on the floor, normally) to match

Edit: I responded to this withour referring to your original photograph - your door looks to be hung in a rebated casi g not a door lining with removeable stop laths, so instead of moving stop laths you will indeed need to add a fillet around the rebate. Apologies for any confusion I may have inadvertently caused

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @JobAndKnock. This is very helpful. The stop laths are from mdf with the door frame is some sort of redwood. So the stop laths could be moved I guess but I was hoping to avoid this work. Also I don't know if these were not glued to the door frame!

My current idea is to add a fillet to make the stop laths slightly wider. The door does not need to open more than ~90deg as it is in the corner and there is a wall anyway that blocks it from opening any wider.

Could I perhaps stick on a 5mm Stormguard EPFM Weatherstrip P profile (https://www.toolstation.com/stormguard-epdm-weatherstrip-p-profile/p32358)?
I guess this could also make the door to close nicer...

The stop laths are from mdf with the door frame is some sort of redwood. So the stop laths could be moved I guess but I was hoping to avoid this work. Also I don't know if these were not glued to the door frame!
They are normally pinned. Replacement softwood stop laths are generallt available ex-stock from timber merchants
Could I perhaps stick on a 5mm Stormguard EPFM Weatherstrip P profile (https://www.toolstation.com/stormguard-epdm-weatherstrip-p-profile/p32358)?
I guess this could also make the door to close nicer...
Sorry , I dont know. TBH it isn't something I've ever tried

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back