Fitting Architrave over newly plastered walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all
I recently removed all the architrave and skirting from the doors in my house and have had the walls plastererd.

Now the plaster is higher than the actual wooden door frame so that when I put the architrave back on it is not flush with the door frame and wall and there is an unsighly gap. Whislt I can nail the architrave on and fill the gap where the other side of the architrave meets the wall the gap is not even all round the frame so that when I join all three bits of architrave together I do not get a neat finish.......

I was wondering if there were any tips out there that I could use to get the walls back flush with the door frame so that my architrave sits on flush with minimum filling?? (i.e. do I need to sand the plaster back to the door frame?).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
we normally secure a thin plant to the casing prior to applying the plaster. :rolleyes:

the flatter you can get the architrave to sit the tighter your mitres will be.

Hello

Apologies for resurrected this old thread. I have a similar problem regarding a couple of walls we've had skimmed. In a few places the plaster is proud of the door lining.

What would people recommend? Removing the excess plaster to bring the level back to the door lining or chamfer the back of the architrave to fit the profile of the wall.

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
If you can scribe the architrave to the plaster that will prevent you causing surrounding plaster to fall away but if it's only a few localised snots and the plaster is still fairly fresh you may be able to scrape it flush with a wood chisel or scraper

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back