how to fit architrave - door frame wider than wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've recently had a number of lath-and-plaster walls removed and replaced by standard 12mm plasterboard. The trouble is that now the frames on my doors are no longer flush with the wall - there is a gap of approx 5-10mm (the door frames being wider than the wall on both sides).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should fit architrave in this situation?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I assume building the wall out with more skim is not a option?

Either plane the linings down or add a 5-10mm timber strip up the wall to fill the gap between plaster and architrave - but this will leave you with quite a thick depth of architrave with may look odd.

Or, rebate the architrave so that its thinner over the door lining and still has the normal thickness off the plaster - this may be the easiest solution, but it depends on the architrave - ie will it take a rebate - torus may not? A variation on this, would be the chamfer the lining and architrave - this would be OK for torus profile

Hi Woody

thanks for that ... I think I'll look at the second option as the architrave is not torus

cheers

Martinelli

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back