Architrave over plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody, I'm removing some wall panelling in my hallway that the
previous owner fitted directly onto stud walls. I am going to put plaster
board up and skim. my problem is that he panelled right up to the door edge overlaping the door frame, now when I put up plasterboard and then architrave with the door frame not being wide enough the edge of the plasterboard will be seen between the door frame and the architrave.The only thing I could think of is to put a rebate in the back of the architrave with the router so that it fits over the edge of the plasterboard. Any better ideas would be appreciated apart from fitting wider door frames. thanks in advance. Ben

Sponsored Links
You've got 2 options really, both of which you've already mentioned. Unless you wanna put new architrave over the architrave.

dependant on desighn and thickness of plasterboard
routering out the back will only work if you can cut back the plaserboard back to partway accross the un-molded part of the arcatrave
i am just wodering if the plasterboard is nailed to the door frame :rolleyes:

i personaly would look at adding 9 or 12mm to the door frame if its going to be painted!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Cheers for your suggestions, there is no plasterboard up yet. I am going to use 9mm and I think I will use your idea of making the door frame a little wider. Thanks fellas. Ben

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back