Plaster already flush with doorframe & reskimming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need some reskimming done, at present the plaster is either flush or slighty proud or the door frames.

Is it wise to add some 3mm strips of wood to the frames to give the plasterer an edge? then stick the architrave on top.

Or better to just have him do the best he can and then rebate the architrave so it fits flush?

Sponsored Links
Agree with above, glue and pin timber strips.

If you are fixing to the rebated side of the casing then you will need to set the knock-on strip back a few mill as you would the architrave. This is because the hinges and latch keep dictate it. All it will mean is your archies will appear thicker.

If you are fixing to the clear side then it is possible to set the knock-on strips flush with the casing.

glue them on with pva and wipe down with a damp cloth.

And then get a scraper and a swear box while you comment to yourself and others about how the plasterer has so kindly skimmed a few mm thickness on top of your 3mm strips and thus on the adjoining wall :confused: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Or you could fix the architrave first, skim up to it and flexi caulk the joint. I have done this in the past - skim up to the architrave, when the plaster firms up a bit run some thing down the architrave to create a groove for the caulk. I used one of those plastic freebies you get in tubs of tile addy which won't damage the painted woodwork. Then later, and prior to painting the new skim caulk the groove. You will of course lose a few mm of your architrave profile, but it can look fine if done with a little care.

I'll thank you all in case the op never gets round to looking on here again ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back