Fixing onto 75mm celotex???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys can you help, i have been asked to give a quote to finish off work on a small lobby entrance to a house. The owner of the house is a bricklayer and he has fixed the celotex/kingspan to the brickwork with mushroom fixings and has foamed it in other places. Now he is asking me to Bluclad or plasterboard his lobby area.

Now in my view there is no solid grounds for which to fix blue clad board or plasterboard to? The guy says it would be fine to fix the blue clad with longer fixings right through the celotex into the wall. This i feel is the total incorrect way of doing so... so i am thinking of ways around it? can i battern over the top of celotex with fixings through batten, celotex then wall? or do i just tell him to that i must remove the celotex fix some grounds and insulate between?

I know why the guy has tryed to do this, because he has tried to get maxium u-value but the way he wants to go about it, cant be guaranteed....can it?

Thanks for your help in advance..

I will try and add a photo...

Sponsored Links
You can stick it on with expanding foam as long as his insulation is well fixed on , idealy you will need those expanding poles to hold it in place for 20 mins or so till it goes off, you can also put 100mm plaster board screws in if you know were the batons underneath are located.

So sticking plasterboard with foam to foil is secure enough??? The is no battens underneath.

Sponsored Links
The plasterboard will bond to the insulation very well, but obviously that will not be much good if the insulation falls of the wall.

Dont know why he didnt use thermaline boards in the first place!...or maybe i do! he's a brickie :mrgreen:

Dont know why he didnt use thermaline boards in the first place!...or maybe i do! he's a brickie :mrgreen:

Is there much point me using bluclad board over standard plasterboard?

Lol yeh that's what I thought? Typical brickys hey! :)

Is that not for rendering over? i dont understand why he would want to.

Yes it is for rendering over, I have never used it so wasn't sure whether you could plaster on it.

Had to google it but according to the literature its an external cladding board for thin coat elastomeric renders.

Stick to gyproc.

Why dont you get some timber the same thickness as the insulation and cut out the insulation and fix the timber to the block wall at equal spaces to fix your P/board to.You could then staple some building paper over it or just put DPC over your timber before boarding it so that nothing "tracks " back from blockwork to plaster board...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back