Fixing onto a hollow ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, D-I-Y wizards. I need to re-fix a venetian blind to my lounge window recess. The "ceiling" (i.e. the top) of this recess is of plasterboard, with a void behind it. Previously, in my ignorance, I had screwed the blind's retaining brackets to the top of the recess, with ordinary screws, but later, I found out that it was only plasterboard (i had believed that there was wood behind the plasterboard, but there is not). Now, on dull days, whenever my wife raises the blind, I think of the precariousness of its anchorage, and I shudder.

Recently, I discovered Fischer Hollow Wall Anchors (Rawlplug makes a similar fitting), and bought some, with the intention of securing the blind's holding-brackets with these, thus providing a secure machine-thread fix on one of the two holes in each of the three brackets, at least.

This house was built in 1947, and, when I think that the plasterboard at the top of the window recess is three-eighths of an inch thick, I am only guessing. The words on the Fischer fixings packet state that the maximum thickness for any fix is 12mm. Now, the holding-bracket to be fixed is 2 (maybe 2.5) mm thick. If the plasterboard is indeed 9mm (three eighths of an inch) thick (that's a total of 11.5mm), I have also to allow for the thickness of the plaster skim on the board (also the wood-chip wallpaper). So, even at the best, it looks as if it will be touch and go. Also, if I drill the 8mm diameter hole that the Fischer fittings require, my boats will have been burned.

So, I am inviting comments, from those knowledgeable and interested enough to do so, about the following:

A) Can anyone think of a safer, more certain alternative to the Fischer fixings? (I like its machine thread option, because once the Fischer fitting is fixed, the thread may be used repeatedly, whereas, over time, the thread of a plastic plug-type fitting, driven in, then screwed into, could be spoiled, through repeated use.)

B) Given the known building date of this house, can anyone say, with certainty, what thickness of plasterboard was generally used in the late 1940s? Is this plasterboard most likely to be three eighths of an inch thick?

Any other helpful comments would be received gratefully. With thanks in advance to any correspondents,
A.W.

Sponsored Links
As long as the screw length is sufficient to make the fixing then I can't see a problem. Have used these fixings on many occasions without any problem. What length screws are you using?

The screw that goes through the Fischer fixing is 38mm long. It will need to be replaced, because it is a pan head, which would prevent the headrail of the blind going into the bracket-space. I will therefore replace it with a screw of the same length (or longer), but with a countersink head with a flat top, thus making the inside of the bracket surface flush (I hope — it depends on whether the cone of the countersink head is not too bulky).

With the stated limits of the fixing having been reached (maybe exceeded a little), I hope that I will be able to get away with doing this.

Thanks for your reply!

Sponsored Links
The screw that goes through the Fischer fixing is 38mm long. It will need to be replaced, because it is a pan head, which would prevent the headrail of the blind going into the bracket-space. I will therefore replace it with a screw of the same length (or longer), but with a countersink head with a flat top, thus making the inside of the bracket surface flush (I hope — it depends on whether the cone of the countersink head is not too bulky).

With the stated limits of the fixing having been reached (maybe exceeded a little), I hope that I will be able to get away with doing this.

Thanks for your reply!
Pan head screws are always used for blind brackets, if supplied they are always pan head, there is no obstruction to the blind.Countersunk screw stick up higher and can cause far more problems than the correct screw.
The plastic plugs offer more choice in the size of screw they will accept .
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/rawlplug-...fjs_YpBaBfL76UJCLtp36g4khnEL3Xy44QaAm2R8P8HAQ
and don't require huge holes to fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back