Fitting a Roller Blind in a Recess

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently moved into an apartment and am completely new to DIY. I'm struggling with my first project.

I bought a roller blind and am trying to install it in the recess of the window. The roller blind is about 15kg.

I drilled holes in the ceiling/top of the recess in the plasterboard but there doesn't seem to be a hollow behind the plasterboard. I think it must be layered. Without a hollow I can't use any of the fittings that grip on the other side of the plasterboard in order to hold the 15kg. Without a sturdy fitting I imagine that it will not stay in place.

I'm now thinking that I could install the brackets on the walls of the recess instead of the top. I'm assuming that there is a hollow behind the wall/side of the recess that will allow me to use a fitting that would grip on the other side. However, when I knock on the wall of the recess it doesn't sound hollow compared to around the corner of the recess on the wall of the room.

Before I start drilling more holes on the side walls of the recess, are the walls of a recess generally more reinforced?

What should I be doing before drilling to make sure that this approach would work?

Any advice much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
You've probably got dot and dab whereby the plasterboard is bonded to the blockwork. Depending where you fixings are you may have a void or lump of dry lining plaster.
In addition if you try and fix into the top of the recess you might hit the lintle (metal/concrete) so it's easier fixing at the sides.
Use fixings more appropriate and with the weight of that blind it would be better to get a fixing straight into the blockwork behind the surface finish.
Something like these https://www.corefixed.com/ or frame fixings etc.

I've never come across a roller blind that weighs 15kg , 5kg maybe but never 15kg

What's it made of and where did you buy it ?

But as above fixing to the wall is easiest regardless of the weight

Sponsored Links
I usually fix to window frame . Sure it’s no 1.5kg? Even that’s heavy for a blind .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back