Fixing plaster board ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have made a slight balls up. I have fixed a new 12.5mm thick plasterboard ceiling to the vaulted roof of my kitchen, however I did not have counter battens fixed so all edges do not have a timber batten behind.

I removed the old plasterboard ceiling to insulate the roof. The insulation consists of 70mm solid between the rafters and 60mm solid insulation below the rafters. I have nailed 4x2 battens through the bottom layer of insulation into the rafters to fix the plasterboard to.

The battens run the full length of the kitchen perpendicular the rafters at 600mm centres. I have fixed the boards to these battens with p/b screws.

My concern is that without all four edges having a batten behind, am I going to get cracks along the joints.

If I use scrim tape along the joints will this prevent cracking.

Sponsored Links
i would be concerned about the nails holding the weight of battens and 12.5mm plasterboard and plaster.
skrim should hold the joints bk from crakcing but without seeing it im not entirley sure how bad or good the situation is. you could double scrim the joints if you are worried but i would certainly go back and put some screws into the battens.

The edges of the boards that run parallel with the battens should sit half way on a batten with the next board sitting on the other half.

Sponsored Links
This is how you should board your ceiling.
http://www.zurich.co.uk/NR/rdonlyre...DE0F7CFBC0/0/PlasterboardCeiling107782A02.pdf
If the boards are fitted perpendicular to your battens and your battens are 400mm centres, supporting the boards at all perpendicular joints.
There is no need for the battens to run along the other edge/joint of the board, as the bound edge of the board will offer it strength.
There is a case though to have timbers running around the permitter of the ceiling though, this will then catch any boards that have been cut along the bound edge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back