Fixing polystyrene backed plasterboard to stone wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The stone wall I'm wanting to fix to tapers by about 3 inches from bottom to top..

I would really prefer not using battens on the wall as there is rising damp and penetrating damp in places which will be dealt with separately but there is always a risk it will get in again.

My question is : how deep can you go on the adhesive ? As it's not something I use regularly, I'm not quite sure. Alternatively, would fixing foam be an alternative solution ?

Sponsored Links
Foam then mechanical fixing when the foam sets. Something like
TIMCO Plastic Insulation Fixing

You need a few packers to take up the 3 inch gap. I've used screws to pack or blocks of wood.
Foam all the way around to make board air tight.

I have used insulation fixings before. Only concern there is that the pull on them when drilling them in countersunk to the board might crush the board around the foam and in the void spaces.

In the end, I may as well have left the lime plaster on the stone (most of which was mechanically sound) and used plasterboard adhesive to stick the plasterboard straight onto that. Just made a load of work for myself

Drill board with 4 holes and make sure there is plenty of foam in those areas. Will be fine when adding fixing

Sponsored Links
SBR might trap moisture. Single skin wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back