fixing shower with riser kit into position

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

im not sure if this is classed as a plumbing issue or not.

im installing a shower tray in my en suite bathroom . its in an alcove so theres wall on 3 sides and its going on a riser kit as I cant get the waist pipe under the floor boards. Im not sure how im supposed to fix the tray into postion so its totally solid. the riser kit just has the plastic legs like you get with kitchen base units. I cant get in to put screws through the legs. so im I just supposed to rely on the weight of the shower tray and the tiles to keep it in place?

thanks in advance

ajmie

Sponsored Links
If its a heavy ( stone resin or similiar ) tray ,silicone it to the wall and tile down to it.

Lol! You're really in trouble when you can't even spell your name correctly :p

Just use some type of glue underneath the back legs (GPpro for me) and try and screw the front legs or glue them too.

If it's a tight fit then this is just belt and braces as the walls will hold it steady.

As @terryplumb above silicone to the walls and tile down then silicone the tiles.

I do hope that its a good resin product and not a cheapo flimsy one... You'll regret it later on otherwise :(

Avoid using the legs if possible, use wooden batons that are the same height as the legs sitting on the floor and attach them to the walls, under the three sides that touch the walls, with one in the middle, it'll be much more secure in the longer term.

Sponsored Links
Avoid using the legs if possible, use wooden batons that are the same height as the legs sitting on the floor and attach them to the walls, under the three sides that touch the walls, with one in the middle, it'll be much more secure in the longer term.

Agreed. Hate trays with legs!

thanks for the suggestion guys.

yeah its a good solid resin tray, its the partition walls and the floor im worried about flexing as much the tray. if I go with batons suggestion, should I glue the tray to the batons as well? as the tray would still only be held in place by the tiles and sealant

I would always employ the "Four Seal Method" :sneaky:

• Put the batons down and secure to the walls with a bit of sealant and screws.
  • Then a continuous bead of sealant on the top edges of the batons where the tray will contact
  • A large bead of silicone on all three sides of the tray that'll be touching the walls or use an aquastrap or similar
  • Fit the tray
  • Seal the top edge to the wall/seal
  • Tile down to the tray then it's sealed again.
As long as the tiles are sound, you've used good water resistant adhesive and grout then you've done your best for a leak free shower

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back