Fixing skirting board to brick walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed old skirting board (approx 100 yrs old)and found that they were nailed to grounds (chocks of wood) which were hammered into the perp (vertical) joints of the brickwork.
Obviously, this was a very labour intensive way of fixing the skirting to the wall. What is the general way of fixing these days. I am reluctant to make grounds myself but am open to suggestions. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
No nails, Masonary nails, screws.

Depends on what type of finish you require,
ie paint / varnish
condition of wall
I dont think there is a right way

my favourite way (might not be the right one) is to put 18mm battens onto the wall, where the top and the bottom of the skirting will be, with plasplugs, and then later lightly screw the skirts onto the battens. Doesn't split the boards or crack the bricks like the old cut nails sometimes did, the battens give you a nice edge to plaster to, and you can finally fix the skirting boards after all the dirty work is done. If you ever need to take them off, you just have to find the screw heads.

If you want to, you can also run speaker wires or aerial co-ax behind the skirting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back