Fixing tallish piece of wood to concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I want to fix a 2 foot high (x6" x4") wooden post in a greenhouse which has concrete flooring. Do I screw a shorter piece of 6"x4" wood to the concrete first, then fix the post to that using something like 2"x2" supports? Are there special 'brackets'? Or is there a more professional way? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
hi , what is the post for , for example, where will the forces be on it ?? downward or sideways ??, you could drill a couple of metal dowels into the concrete and the timber and fix it that way with two pack chem fixing , depends on your resources or how about building an 18mm ply box that the post fits snuggly into , fixing that to the floor , sit the post into that , job done ;)

a tad more info might be handy. Is it going to bear weight? will it get wet? what is the purpose of the upright. Sorry - I'm not being awkward - the answer may well depend on what the use is. :)

Woody

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a tad more info might be handy. Is it going to bear weight? will it get wet? what is the purpose of the upright. Sorry - I'm not being awkward - the answer may well depend on what the use is.

great minds think alike :LOL:

Sponsored Links
More info.. its for in a greenhouse. I want to fix a double outdoor plug socket (IP56) to it, so not much weight. You've given me food for thought already, but if this prompts ay more suggestions, I'm all ears.

Your choices are almost limitless due to lack of weight. AS Les has said you could build a ply box. Or you can get some 2x2 attach that around the base in a square then screw that to the floor. Glue (PU) and screw a wooden block to the floor as you have suggested and fix to that. It really does come down to what evere takes your fancy, just allow for a little force to be exerted when putting in / pulling out the plug.
Another alternative is to cut a small section of the post away so it is 4x4 or 3x3 and get a steel Metpost floor fixing that you use for fencing.

Woody

Thanks Woody, I may have 3 posts all fixed the different ways :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back