fixing gate post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need to replace the side gate for my semi detached property. The gate and supporting post are now rotten. The post also supports my neighbours gate - it is on the boundary of our properties. It seems that the post was only pushed in a few inches into the ground (which seems to be just soil). There is a bit of conrete around the post profiled to ensure water drains away from the post. Then there's the crazy paving and block paving beyond that bit of concrete.There is a horizontal 4"x2" timber struct fixed to both properties and screwed to the top of the post and wall plates on both properties. This too has rotten away. Behind the post is a 4"x4" concrete garden post that supports my garden fence. What is the best way to secure the new wooden garden post to the ground ?

Do I try to dig a hole best I can and as deep as I can and then fill up with concrete. Should I break up some of the crazy paving / block paving on both properties.

Or should I dig up a hole and fill with concrete and then put a surface mounted met post

Or should I try to secure the new wooden post to the garden concrete post somehow

Sponsored Links
see how deep a hole you can make. You will probably hit some concrete if it was next to a fence post. If you can make a hole 18" deep by 4"x4" you can put a new post in. I recommend a Concrete Repair spur, concreted into the ground. You can bolt a wooden gatepost to this without it being in contact with the ground, this will reduce the speed it rots at. And when it goes wrong you just undo the bolts and fit a new wooden post.

If you and your neighbour can agree to fit a substantial timber across the top of the "door frames" and fixed to the houses and to the post, it will add a lot of strength and rigidity.

thx JohnD,

I really appreciate your input.

I did a google image search for "concrete repair spur" and it seems they come in lengths of 3.5ft to 4ft. So as long as I can get it at least 18" into the ground I should be OK ?

What if I can only dig 12" into the ground ? Do they come in shorter lengths ?

if you can only get it 12" into the ground it is more likely to fall over. Bracing it at the top will help a lot.

Sponsored Links
Fix the gate to the wall of your house, rock solid.

Use the central post just to latch on to.

OK, how do I dig up a 4" x 4" wide hole ? I'd assume I would have to dig a wider hole, and fill up with concrete.

trazor, good idea, and one I would have like to do, problem is that the gate opens inwards and would unfortunately knock into my soil pipe.

you can get a special narrow spade for posts. or you can just tinker with a gardeners trowel and things. If you have a very long masonry bit or a pointy iron bar you can use this to break up the ground and any tiresome lumps of concrete or stone.

so a 4x4" hole will support a 4 ft concrete spur without the need for concrete, provided it is packed in well around the post and I can dig 18 - 24" deep. If it turns out I can only go 12" down, do you recommend I keep the hole as 4x4 or should I make wider hole and fill with concrete? if so how wide should I make it?

making it wider will not help much . provided the existing ground is firm and well-settled, digging it out just means you need to fill it back up again. You need to add enough concrete to hold the spur tightly in the hole.

A wide, shallow saucer-shaped lump will easily rock.

depth is more useful.

I'll check out the post spades. Does the soil type need to be taken into consideration ? I have 8"-10" top soil, below that its pure clay

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back