Garden gates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

i want to install timber garden gates at the end of our drive. Total gate width will be 360cm

The gates are going to be bi-fold so will be 2 x 90cm wide by 180cm high gates fastened together with strap hinges.

The one side is fine as they will be fastened to a concrete pillar.

The other side though needs a new free standing post

Will a 100mm x 100mm wooden post set in concrete be strong enough to support the gates? I plan to put spring loaded casters onto the bottom of the outer gate to support some of the weight.

Or would i be better off putting in a concrete post and then bolting a wooden post to this? If the concrete option is better where is the best place to buy. B&Q do one but it looks like there are no pre drilled holes to put the coach bolts through. Will it be easy to drill holes through it? Also the tallest one they do is only 210cm high so will 30cm depth be deep enough to support it?

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
you need at least a 150x150 timber post concreted 600mm into the ground. an 8 inch might look better though and the price difference will be negligable.

It's partly the weight of the gate but also a 6 foot gate is a big slab in terms of wind loading.

A large concrete post might be better, sorry can't help where to get one though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back