Fixing tile panel to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sorry, I posted this to "Building" instead of here. Please could my other post be deleted?
--------------------

I'm interested in any opinions on the best way to do this.

I have a wood burning stove on a free-standing hearth touching a wall. The stove began to blow the skim off the wall, so I removed the affected skim, an area of approx. 800 x 900 mm. The surface here is now the original render, in good condition.

It would be too fiddly to try to tile behind the stove, so I have fixed tiles to a piece of 6mm Hardibacker board, with cement based tile adhesive. The aim is to fix the whole panel to this piece of wall, behind the stove, and make good around it.

My first thought was to fix it with more of the same adhesive, but I wonder if anyone thinks there is mileage in using clear silicone? Whenever I've been stupid enough to use this to fix a sink to a wall, and had to remove the sink, the silicone has pulled the tiles off the wall rather than let go. Silicone would also allow for expansion and contraction of the panel. Daft idea, or not?

This leaves me with the question of moving the panel to its location, and raising it, without the tiles pinging off if the board flexes...

All advice gratefully received.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
i'd go with the cement based addy personally. hope its flexible?

i'd go with the cement based addy personally. hope its flexible?

Thanks. I'm not sure that the stuff I fixed the tiles with it. I'll check the bag later. I'll be sure to use flexible to fix the panel; unless that's too little too late...

Cheers
Richard

In general, stoves should not be touching anything - mfr's instructions ref. dimensions must be followed.

Perhaps, in your own interests, you should have a HETAS give the installation a once-over before any further tiling work takes place?

Sponsored Links
In general, stoves should not be touching anything - mfr's instructions ref. dimensions must be followed.

Perhaps, in your own interests, you should have a HETAS give the installation a once-over before any further tiling work takes place?

The stove isn't touching anything, it's 200mm away from the wall. It was a full HETAS/BR installation. The trouble was I had the room re-skimmed at the same time, and the skim beind the stove has blown. I thought it would be far away enough from the heat, but it wasn't ;)

Cheers
Richard

Update: I've done this now, with the same cement based tile adhesive used to fix the tiles to the board. Prior to fixing, I created a bead of clear silicone along the bottom edge of the tiled board, for the board to rest on as I manoeuvred it into place. Made good and re-painted around it and it looks quite good. Remains to be seen if it stays stuck to the wall when I start using the stove this coming winter ;)

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back