Fixing to Lath & Plaster wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Wonder if you can give me some advice. I have got Laith and Plaster walls and have to put some curtain rails up. In fact they are already up but I am going to put some very heavy curtains on them and I am not sure they will stay up.

I had another less durable curtain rail which came off as soon as the curtain went up along with some of the wall.

I asked advice after this and was told to use really long screws (which I have) and some wooden rawl plugs (which I can't find anywhere). I was going to reattach the curtain rails I have using the long screws and the wooden rawl plugs (if I can find them).

So do you know where I can get Wooden rawl plugs?
Can you give me any other recommendations?

I don't want to srew into the window frame because the curtains won't hang properly.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards

Maria

Sponsored Links
L&P has no strength and will probably be pulled down which will be very messy and a lot of work to repair.

However, the laths are fixed to upright timber studs usually about 600mm apart. You can screw through the plaster into these and they will be plenty strong enough.

You may be able to locate them by tapping on the wall and listening for the different sound when it is solid not hollow. A stud detector might find them. You may be able to see or feel marks in the plaster where the nails are which fasten the laths to the studs. If you drill a trial hole you can poke a bit of bent wire sideways along the wall to find the studs to each side of your hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back