Fixing wall units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to hang some kitchen wall units at the weekend. The walls are plasterboard dot 'n' dabbed onto breeze block. Any ideas on the best fixings to use for the job? Cheers.

Sponsored Links
If this were me - and i am only a DIYer, NOT a professional.... i would cut a horizontal strip out of the plasterboard at the top of the units and across their full width. And then fix a timber batter securely to the blocks.

And then use this to fix the units to.

Ok first remember between the board and the breeze you have your adhesive(dot and dab) your talking about a few mill.
So you will need a masonary bit,straight through board and into breeze block , you need to drill a good depth.get some decent plugs preferably with a 3 mil flange to sit flush with board.drill in at least 75 mil. the number of fixings is important don.t scrimp.
good luck.

Thanks for the replies.
So I'm looking at using some sort of frame fixing for the job. Anybody got any thoughts on the fixings with the Torx head. I've used them to fix windows before, just never put them into breeze block.

Sponsored Links
Personally, I use 100mm x 5.0 screws with brown rawlplugs - 7mm drill.

This should ensure you get a good 60mm fix in the block (15mm board + skim - 25mm cavity = 50mm solid fix), but be careful, some "breeze blocks" have hollow centres 30mm from the face, and can be a real pain to achieve a fix.

A test hole is or two well away from your bracket location is always a good start, anywhere behind the intended wall cab location will be obscured anyway so it's a free go.

Drill holes, insert brown rawlys flush with board, insert screw into rawly, tap in 50mm with hammer, remove screw, offer up bracket, reinsert screw through bracket, pull up screw.

NB don't pull screw up too much as the board will pull into wall and warp, that will make hanging your cab flush with the wall a little tricky.

Solo - 2 issues really, the plasterboard can't form part of the support solution for kitchen cabinets and the load needs to be spread in the breeze blocks. It's no use just plugging & screwing the support brackets on 'cos the plugs may eventually pull-out. For fixing into the breeze use sleeve anchors, similar to these:
www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=45137&id=19292

To spread the load do as one of the posters has suggested, namely, cut a patch out of the plasterboard through which you Gripfill and anchor (sleeve anchors) a timber/or ply plate; it's into this that you screw the cabinet support plates.

Another great little fixing for bridging gaps is:
www.universalspacerscrew.moonfruit.com/
but I wouldn't use it to hang wall cupboards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back