Creating storage cupboard above stairs...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I've always found this forum useful for many of my DIY projects but cannot find an information relevant to my next project.

I have a 3 storey semi, the top stairwell has a large unusable space above the stairs. The only load bearing wall in the stairwell is the wall between my house and next door, which is dot and dabbed plasterboard straight onto breeze block.

I want to create a cupboard in this space which is accessible from the master bedroom. - More than confident to cut hole add door etc and am aware of 2m height of clearance, do studwork, plasterboard etc.

My issue is how do I go about creating the floor or bottom of the cupboard?

Is it ok to cut into the dot and dabbed plasterboard and anchor a ledger onto the breeze block which I can use joist hangers to hang joists over the gap?

Or do these joists need to rest in holes cut into the breeze block?

Or can I just use stud wood to make a frame and anchor this into the breeze block?

It is obviously likely that someone will need to stand in the cupboard to reach things.

Any advice would be grateful and thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Timber width plus 50-60mm on the screw length should do it. Anchor bolt a bit ott but up to you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back