Cupboard under the stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya Wondered if you could be of any help.

I am wanting to create a cupboard under the stairs, so i can put the ironing board and hoover away, and also to have some shelving.

I have a 800mm square concrete block that the old boiler used to sit on, which cannot be removed, so i would have to put a wall at the side of this and put the floor of the cupboard ontop of the concrete block.

My problem is that the only way i can think of building the cupboard, is to make some kind of stud partition wall. The problem there is....can i do this with the sloped nature of the stairs?

Can anyone give me any tips on building this cupbord? I have enclosed some dimensions of the stairs

Cheers

meddy.[/img] View media item 24072

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure if I fully understand the question :confused:

Are you asking if you can build a stud partition with a slope? If so, then the answer's yes. How do you think stud walls in lofts are formed?

Yeah, the angled stud wall is what im after, im just wondering how i would attach the head plate and how to actually construct it, as i've never done it before. The width of the wall is 720mm.

Are you talking about forming a stud wall perpendicular to the soffit of the stairs and the floor, thus having a "cranked" stud as such? If so, why not just form a vertical stud wall off the floor with a sole plate and then run another sole plate along the soffit of the stairs, cut the vertical studs to suit and then fix together, which is traditionally how it's done?

Similar to this...

06%2Binsulation.JPG

Sponsored Links
Why can't the concrete be removed, is it an Antique? or maybe listed? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back