Understairs Cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya, I wondered if anyone could be of any help.

I have a small room (study) and i am wanting to utilise the space under the stairs. Ideally we want to make it into a cupboard with a single door on it, so we can store cleaning gear, coats etc.

Would this be an ideal job to undertake myself? Im thinking of placing batons a couple of cm inside the understairs and putting plasterboard to make it flush and then putting a door on? Any thoughts?

Meddy.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you're on the right lines....just erect a studding frame to fit the door size of your choice and all should be well.
You could also make a door yourself if you wish - MDF would be a reasonable material choice - depending on what sort of finish you want.
John :)

If the top of the door is angled to follow the line of the stairs you can only hinge it off the shorter side.

Sponsored Links
Burner, thanks for that. Just wondered how i would attach the stud batons to the concrete floor? Would i have to drill, or would i be able to no more nails it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back