understairs boxing in and new door advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to have a door in pine for under my stairs, the surrounding area can be boxed out using mdf or plasterboard. I would like some advice on the best way to box out and create a frame for the door, I was also thinking of using the cupboard for storing shoes in, any ideas welcome. Photo of understairs attached.

View media item 27113

Sponsored Links
I'm always inclined to try and match up with the other doors in the house if this is possible or otherwise create a totally flush looking affair, which does simplfy construction . Looking at the photo it won't be a very high door so the top will need to be cut to the angle of the stairs.

thanks for your reply, need some help with construction as not done this before! I have some spare mdf, the door will probably be pine, how would i go about making a frame for door etc :)

Sponsored Links
2" x 2" framing faced with 12mm MDF. Make the door out of some 1" x 1" faced both sides with 1/4" ply. Easily done in a weekend.

Create a stud wall with the opening for a door :S

If i were doing this i would make the frame/stud with 3x2, either cover with mdf or plasterboard. 4x1 (100mmx 25mm) for door lining and slamming strips. As jj said make the door up yourself/ basic frame coverd in ply/ or whatever material you would prefer.

also after looking closer i can see you mains for the gas there.
I would suggest you put the opening as far left as possible (pov at pic) and make it 300mm wide 300mm high.

God nows these plumbers hardly do sweet FA so it will be a good exercise/laugh for them to squeeze in there ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back