What size screw and plug for fitting kitchen wall unit

5 Dec 2012
Reaction score
United Kingdom

we have just had an extension and the plasterboard has been dot and dab onto the breeze block. There is a gap of approx 20mm between the plasterboard and the breeze block.

Can someone please advise what type /size of fixing and size screw you would use to fit the kitchen WALL cabinets?

I want to drill through and fix into the breeze block as it will be a lot stronger.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
I would use 75mmx 5mm woodscrews in nylon plugs, drilling carefully to avoid enlarging the pilot hole.

Hanging rail is very good for this, it spreads the load across the wall, and it doesn't matter if a screw goes into soft mortar or has to be left out because of a cable, there are plenty more.

You can paint it (preferably before fixing) to match the walls

The ordinary cab hangers just hook on. They will automatically all be level at the same height, and if you need to move one along the wall a bit, it's fine. With plenty of screws, it is very strong.

I used to get mine from Woodfit but it's sold widely now,including Ebay. Get long lengths. Available 1m, 2m and 3m (ish).

Sponsored Links
You might not put up all the cabs on the first day. Or you might have a gap over the cooker or boiler. Or you might move something.

Anyway, I always paint things.
Is it breeze block or thermalite, big difference in fixing method required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local