what fixings should i use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a new kitchen cabinet where the boiler used to be and im unsure how to fix it. The brackets have holes for 6 screws. I know i already have some grey plugs, brown plugs and an assortment of 2-3" screws. think i also have some hammer-in fixing which might be 3"?

cabinet carcass is 400mm wide and the wall construction seems to be plasterboard then breeze block then brick. there is about 1" from the outer surface of plaster to the breeze block (house is about 20 yrs old if that helps) how deep into block do i need to go or do i need to go into the brick!
thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You should only go into the block. 3" screws should be long enough, but depending on the gap between the plasterboard and block you may need to use 4".

Drill the holes to the depth of the screw you are going to use and no deeper. Insert plugs and tap fully in using a screw, then insert screws through bracket and tighten fully. (I would use brown plugs with 3" No.8 screws)

As you only have a 400mm cabinet, I would suggest just using the 2 top holes in each fixing bracket, as trying to drill 3 holes so close together in the type of wall you have can lead to the blockwork crumbling.

if the walls are crumbly or the plugs are loose, clean out the holes and inject them with a no-more-nails type adhesive, starting with the nozzle deep into the hole so there is no air bubble. Push the plaspugs right into this while it is soft. Drive the screws in the next day when it has set.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back