Display case fixing question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I’ve recently purchased a collectors display cabinet with the i tension to wall mount it.
The product details didn’t have a weight of the product so went to the store and purchased it - I was surprised how heavy it was, got home and it weights 29.4kgs.

The dimensions are approx: 68x110x20cm (WxHxD)

I live in a new build home and the wall I’m wanting to put it on is plasterboard then some type of breeze block, but seems more crumbly.

Question is, would anyone know what fixings I should use for this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Could be thermalite blocks , tap a screwdriver thru plasterboard and if you can tap it into the wall then it’s soft thermalite blocks.
Report back as the type of block dictates the type of fixing required.

Could be thermalite blocks , tap a screwdriver thru plasterboard and if you can tap it into the wall then it’s soft thermalite blocks.
Report back as the type of block dictates the type of fixing required.

Thanks for your reply. I believe it is indeed the thermalite blocks. I remember it being very soft and crumbles when I drilled through it a few years ago.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fischer-Po...72&hvtargid=pla-421292495229&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

These are the best plugs I have found for thermalite but require a 10-12 mm hole thru plasterboard before being hammered into block work (8mm hole required in block).
You would need a spacer between block and plasterboard before mounting cabinet .
A cheaper method I have used is to use 120mm long screws , screwed into block the removed then 8mm X 100mm long wooden dowel ( whittled to a point ) hammered into hole before using screw.
Have tried all standard plugs and they all pull out easily and adding adhesive or resin fails as blocks are too powdery .

Sponsored Links
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fischer-Po...72&hvtargid=pla-421292495229&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

These are the best plugs I have found for thermalite but require a 10-12 mm hole thru plasterboard before being hammered into block work (8mm hole required in block).
You would need a spacer between block and plasterboard before mounting cabinet .
A cheaper method I have used is to use 120mm long screws , screwed into block the removed then 8mm X 100mm long wooden dowel ( whittled to a point ) hammered into hole before using screw.
Have tried all standard plugs and they all pull out easily and adding adhesive or resin fails as blocks are too powdery .

Thanks for that. Not sure about the block part. As the wall is already erect and wouldn’t be able to put anything between the plasterboard and the outer wall - if that makes sense.

Thanks for that. Not sure about the block part. As the wall is already erect and wouldn’t be able to put anything between the plasterboard and the outer wall - if that makes sense.
Sorry can’t make sense of any part of that paragraph ?

Sorry can’t make sense of any part of that paragraph ?

Sorry about that.

You mentioned: “You would need a spacer between block and plasterboard before mounting cabinet .”

What do you mean spacer? Do you mean like a wall plug of sorts?

Sorry about that.

You mentioned: “You would need a spacer between block and plasterboard before mounting cabinet .”

What do you mean spacer? Do you mean like a wall plug of sorts?
Short length of pipe , off cut of pvc water pipe is idea about 20mm to make up the gap between front of plaster board and blockwork .Plasterboard is 12mm plus any gap behind to block .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back