TV Bracket on plasterboard dot and dab wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening ladies and gentlemen.

I have purchased a new TV for the bedroom and wish to wall mount it to a wall which is dot and dab plasterboard (New house) wall. The wall faces the outside of the house so it does have brick or breeze block behind the cavity.

My question is, what is the best way to secure a TV bracket to the wall without pulling down the plasterboard. The total weight of the TV and bracket will be 10kg.

I have looked online and some people suggest drilling into the breeze block and using rigifix kits. Has anyone any ideas or if this is truly the best way to do it?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I forgot to mention the tv bracket is a tilt and swivel bracket.

Drill into the wall through the plasterboard, pop rawl plugs in and use a long screw to push the plug right back into the wall itself. Then fit bracket as usual, just make sure you use long screws that bite into the rawl plug & tighten up nicely.

Sponsored Links
By wall do you mean brick? And that's all it takes to secure the tv and bracket?

100 - 120mm frame fixer in to the brick, depending on the thickness of plaster you could go 80mm.

Phillips Frame Fixing 8 x 100mm

or

Phillips Frame Fixing 8 x 120mm

you just drill through the plaster and brick, hold the tv bracket up and push the frame plug through then insert the screw and tighten (just in case you didn't know how a frame fixer works ;)
Thanks. It sounds a lot easier. Still not confident as I don't fancy the tv falling on my sons head lol.

As motor biking says frame fixings is the way to go. Screwfix have various lengths of frame fixings.
Drill the hole through plaster board hammer in frame fixing and fix tv bracket on wall job done.

there is 10 in a pack 4 should do it, but you could put 6 in or use the no 10 fixers but these need a larger screw driver. I've got 4 no. 10s holding a 50" telly through plaster insulation and brick.

So steps:

1. hold mounting bracket on the wall where you want it making sure there are no cables likely to be in the wall (e.g. sockets light switches etc). Use a level to mark and mark the holes.

2. drill your holes with the right size drill (e.g. no 8, 8mm masonry drill.) drill a tiny bit deeper than your fixing. e.g 80mm 85mm depth hole

3. hold up the bracket, and tap the fixers (plastic bit) in with a hammer until flush, then screw the screws in tight.

mount the rest of the bracket

Ok I have just realised I can't put the tv on that wall as the bracket isnt compatible.

I can attach to another wall which seems to be dot and dab. What is the best way to attach to this wall bearing in mind it isn't an outside wall.

Same way using frame fixings or is it not possible?

Why can't you fix that to an outside wall ?
Frame fixings will work with that bracket

Why can't you fix that to an outside wall ?
Frame fixings will work with that bracket
That's a different bracket. I checked the outside wall but the tv hits the wall and won't swivel to correct angle so will have to use the above on the bed facing wall.

• It seems there are quite a few studs as the sound changes when knocking on the wall. Not sure if it is stud or dot and dab tho? Or doesn't this matter?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back