Fixings for double plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I've moved to a new flat and I'm having some trouble to fix things on plasterboard. I've tried the self drill screw like this one below:
47347_P

On walls that are facing other flats or the external corridor that gives access to the flat, it drills 1/3 of its length then it turns itself away from the hole and breaks. Looks like these areas use a very thick or perhaps double plasterboard as I used a long screw(50mm) and I could still feel plasterboard in the end. On the walls dividing the inner side of the flat, these self drill fixing works fine as the plasterboard doesn't have any wood behind I think.

Now I'm planning to fix a TV to the wall that probably has brick behind or double pasteboard. This wall faces the outer side of the building.
I'm afraid that again the self drill fixing won't be able to get through and will make a mess. Also I'm not sure if it will be strong enough to hold a 23Kg TV.

Could you guys please advise me on what is best do to in this case? I need to find out what the interior of the wall is made of and a way to fix things on thick plasterboard.

thanks for your time helping me on this :)

Sponsored Links
if there is brick behind the wall, use a wood drill bit and drill through the plasterboard, till you get to brick. then you know how deep. Then just buy some big fixings in wickes or b&q.

I would say, as i have fitted 0000's of tv's, i normally put wood across from left to right, say 75% of the tvs width, then screw the bracket to that. The tv may sit off 2 or 3 inches but that makes it easy to get to the inputs etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back