Flame in Rangemaster 110 gas cooker always stays low

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a Rangemaster 110 cooker that we bought second hand in 2005 for £350. Its been a good cooker and they retail at around £1200 new.

It's worked fine for several years until the other day. Now, when you turn the gas ovens on, they ignite OK, but then the flame never properly fires up - it just hovers at the low level. I suspect it is a fault with the thermostat or coupler (I am told by a friend)?

We have rang several CORGI plumbers and they have all said that only Rangemaster can fix them as the parts are not available outside of Rangemaster. We rang Rangemaster, and they have quoted £300

1) Is this something I could fix myself, or does it have to be CORGI plumber?
2) Does it sound like it's the thermostat, coupler, or something else?
3) Is it true that only Rangemaster can fix it? If not, can you recommend anyone in the Derbyshire\Nottinghamshire\Leicestershire area?

Any help appreciated

Ta

Ted

Sponsored Links
It`s most likely the Fame Supervision Device,which is faulty,which will probably be either a vapour valve type or a thermocouple type.Either way ,it will require a Gas Safe engineer to repair it.No guarantee to worry about ,so any Registered engineer could repair it if he/she can get parts.£300 sounds extortionate to me.

Before getting anyone in though,using a small torch and a straw and making sure the oven is turned off.Stick your head in the oven and try and see the burner strip.There should be a small metal rod crossing or protruding over it.Using the straw,blow into the holes below and around this rod,it may just be a partially choked burner.

Have a look at www.espares.co.uk
RANGEMASTER110 spares on there, providing oven burner is clean and FFD probe is in correct place then it needs a new FFD cost 91 quid

Before getting anyone in though,using a small torch and a straw and making sure the oven is turned off.Stick your head in the oven and try and see the burner strip.There should be a small metal rod crossing or protruding over it.Using the straw,blow into the holes below and around this rod,it may just be a partially choked burner.

Great advice, this worked for me. Found a piece of ceramic over the burner (obviously a plate must have broken in the oven at some point), removed and all fixed. Thanks saved me £300 with 2 mins investigation!

Sponsored Links
I also experienced the same low flame problem in the right oven.

Following the advice below I checked the sensor and the burner area.
The flame was lower below the sensor than the rest of the burner. This was because many of the burner holes were blocked. This was remedied using a large needle. Care is needed to ensure gas and electricity is off before hand.
Careful as central burner holes are larger than outer holes.

The flame sensor retaining clip should be cleaned along with the sensor and the mounting plates to allow good earthing of the sensor.

Once the holes were cleared the flame over the sensor was stronger and sufficient to stimulate the sensor into firing the high flame solenoid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back