Flat roof flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

So I posted recently about an unexplained leak on a balcony roof into the room below.

I've managed to narrow it down to either the flashing or the brickwork.

I have managed to make it leak onto the ceiling below by soaking the flashing and brickwork and using the hairdryer on it to create wind. My thought was it's soaking through the brick and no weep holes are there to catch it or it's going directly between the flashing and brick but only when windy.

Any clues or does anything look incorrectly fitted from the pics provided? This is the only area which was soaked so the key is this area.

Regards

Attachments

• IMG_20200626_083433_5.jpg
    IMG_20200626_083433_5.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20200626_083421_7.jpg
    IMG_20200626_083421_7.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 118
Sponsored Links
Does it look more likely that it's soaking through the brick or between the upstand and brick, probably worth mentioning the upstand moves when its pressed

It looks like there is no apron channelled into the wall, the upstanding looks to be glued under a length of bead.

Sponsored Links
Just looked at your pic again, it need a lead apron chased into the wall and sealed.
That configuration you have there wont work.

So in simple terms the builder has bodged it?

Would covering the brick and upstand with a temporary self adhesive tape such as flashband work until I can get someone to look at it?

Remove the pointing from above the bead and run a bead of silicone along it.

Ok I'll do that, I didn't even think of silicone. Do you think it will last long?

Also is the flashing something that can be replaced without removing the entire rubber roof?

The flashing is installed by cutting a 25mm deep groove with a grinder along the brick joint just above that bead.
A roll of code 4 9" lead cut into 1.5m strips is then inserted into the cut groove, dressed over the epdm and the joint sealed with lead mate.
The silicone will last for a while but you still need a proper flashing.

Thank you very much for all the info, ive spent months trying to find the cause of the leak, from the patio door to the roof itself.

Until today I've wasted gallons and gallons of water trying to make it leak again and as soon as I apply wind it happened. Explains why it only happens in stormy weather...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back