Flat roof insulation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we had our extention flat roof re- covered with rubber a couple of years ago, also weve just had our dormer flat roof done the same with a slope built in.
My question is, is it possible or even advisable to blow some kind of insulation to the gap between the foof top ceiling in each space and if so what kind of insulation. I can access the space where they meet the house.
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you missed the boat there, why are you asking the question now?

They both have minimum insulation from when they were built before we lived here but there is still mostly empty space. The sloped roof and the extention re- boarding and rubber covering were both built on top of the existing felt, so there was no access for additional insulation.

Hi, we had our extention flat roof re- covered with rubber a couple of years ago, also weve just had our dormer flat roof done the same with a slope built in.
My question is, is it possible or even advisable to blow some kind of insulation to the gap between the foof top ceiling in each space and if so what kind of insulation. I can access the space where they meet the house.
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
I take it you re posted my first post because of my comment re access. What I mean is, when the rubber layers and slope built, because they were done over existing roof covering thete was no access from the top to add insulation then.
However from the loft and storage space in my sons bedroom, I can access the end of the space between joist/rafters of the flat roofs to try and blow some form of loose insulation if is possible and feasable.

Hi Dave, you might qualify for something called room in the roof insulation. There are a number of companies working within ECO3 a government backed energy initiative if you can’t get this any loft insulation will do the job nicely . Hope this helps.

Thanks Johnny. Do you think it would be ok to push some rockwool into and along the space, one bit after another. I'm just a bit concerned about the lighting wiring.

You could shroud around your lighting if you can reach it for peace of mind. Rockwool would be ideal. It has the flexibility of insulating the tightest of voids. Have you any venting in the voids.

No venting that I know of. Rockwool is breathable though?

Hi Dave
What I am struggling to understand is why you are talking about insulating now after recently renewing your roofs?
It is requirement when renewing any roof these days.

We haven't renewed the full roof just the covering. We devided on rubber rather than re- felting. The roofer suggested adding a slight slope and gutter to assist with drainage. I just thought that adding insulation into the void would be beneficial. I understand that had the boarding been removed it would have been easier to add it then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back