Flat roof leaking - repointing vs flashing tape

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This might be an obvious one...

We're having some water leak through a flat roof - it's joined to the house but the water is going into a shed. We can have lots of rain which sits on the roof for days and this doesn't cause a leak but it seems like if the rain is in a particular direction this will come in. I'm assuming this implies a leak to the flashing and I think I know where it's coming in. My initial thought was to use one of those flashing tapes but I looked at my neighbour's roof who has used this in the past and it has left such a mess - they've had a new flat roof put on now but there's about 4 inches of tape residue all along their wall.

For this reason - is repointing a much better option? or would it be harder to get a good seal than with the tape?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Depends on the leak. Is it damp wall or drip drip? How high is the upstand of the flat roof against the house wall ( & what condition is it in)
Flashband is vile stuff but if your upstand has failed you can get a temporary mend out of it.
EDIT If the upstand is OK & its the cover flashing that has failed, lead isn't that much dearer than flashband & on a job like that its easier to do a good job with it

Depends on the leak. Is it damp wall or drip drip? How high is the upstand of the flat roof against the house wall ( & what condition is it in)
Flashband is vile stuff but if your upstand has failed you can get a temporary mend out of it.
EDIT If the upstand is OK & its the cover flashing that has failed, lead isn't that much dearer than flashband & on a job like that its easier to do a good job with it

Thanks for this. I'm fairly sure that is the flashing rather than the upstand but I'll have another check.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back