Flat roof problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!
About 5 years ago I bought an old house. Part of the lounge is a flat roof. I stripped it off to the joists and covered it in 18mm ply. I got a 'recommended' roofer to put some torch-on underfelt on. It leaked.
He was 'too busy' to come back.
I got another roofer. He covered it in a large tub of 'cold pitch'? Then put some underfelt on, stuck with the pitch.
He left lots of bits of cut felt on the roof, which set into the black felt. He was 'too busy' to come back and finish it off.
I got some 12mm ply and covered it, because the bits of felt made it impossible to get a flat surface to felt over.
I got another roofer. He covered it in a tub of the 'cold pitch'? He stuck finishing felt to this. It looked lovely.
2 years later, no leaks, but the felt turns out to be cheap shed felt, and is bubbling all over, and rotting away where it runs off to the gutter.
You may appreciate, I'm reluctant to get any more 'recommended' roofers, and intend to do it myself!
Would covering it AGAIN in 12mm ply, then sticking some quality felt on with the 'cold pitch' seem like a viable proposition?
It doesn't leak, which given the amount of pitch/felt/ply doesn't surprise me.
I just worry that over time, the bubbling cheap stuff will allow water in and cause all the layers below to leak and rot etc.
Googleing, I found it's classed as a 'cold' roof. (Insulated above ceiling)
Help!
Thanks.
Paul.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back