flat roof query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment I have a flat roof on my garage which is 10' wide & next to that is my utility room which is 5 'wide. The flat roof is covered with felt & chippings & covers both garage & utility room as one roof. The joists are 15' long & are supported by the shared wall between garage & utility room as well as being fixed at the ends. The joists are only 4" x2" & are 22" apart.

I want to take out 10' of the adjoining wall to make my garage wider. Is it better to just put bigger/thicker joists in to cover the 15' span, or do I need to put an RSJ in to support the roof where I've removed the supporting wall? (hope this makes sense). if I can put in bigger joists what sort of size would I need to support the roof?

Thanks in advance

cheers...Nige

Sponsored Links
Anybody?? Maybe if I re phrase it to, what size joist timbers do I need to support & span a 15' flat roof & how far apart should they be fom each other??

Thanks in advance

cheers...Nige

47x220 C16 joists at 400mm centres.. for the 15' span..
Prob best to replace the existing as they are a little on the small size for the 10ft span

47x220 C16 joists at 400mm centres.. for the 15' span..
Prob best to replace the existing as they are a little on the small size for the 10ft span

Thanks for that, sorry for my ignorance but what does "C16" refer to?

cheers..Nige

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back