Flexible filler for wood window frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been restoring the bay windows on my 1940's. I've stripped the main frames back to remove the layers of paint which has built up over the years. I've primed and undercoated the frames and any gaps in between the five casements and the casements and the cill, I filled with Brewers external filler. That was about a month ago. I've just gone out to lightly rub down for a second undercoat and where I used filler has cracked open. See attached photos.

Is there a better flexible filler or do I have to use Decorators caulk?

Attachments

• DA7EB9D4-37DF-4F07-A2E0-FDB2ACD5CC44.jpeg
    DA7EB9D4-37DF-4F07-A2E0-FDB2ACD5CC44.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 54E165BC-67AA-4656-888A-A7B2E6D9AF69.jpeg
    54E165BC-67AA-4656-888A-A7B2E6D9AF69.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 59
Sponsored Links
Not "Decorators", it's no good outdoors.

Low modulus means it more likely takes expansion/contraction without coming unstuck.

Last edited:
But silicone won’t take paint will it?

The silicone will repel the paint. Modified Silane Polymers (MS Polymers) will accept paint but generally need to be primed with waterbased paints first otherwise the oil based finish will stay sticky for months.

They are however more difficult to "taper" off at the edges. Dipping your finger in white spirits will help though.

Sponsored Links
As there appears to be nothing exactly what I’m after, I’ve opened up the gaps in the frame and have used Ronseal 2 pack.

As there appears to be nothing exactly what I’m after, I’ve opened up the gaps in the frame and have used Ronseal 2 pack.

If you leave itwith undercoat only, the two pack will probably split as well. At a minimum, undercoat and gloss that section. Then paint the rest at your leisure.

Last edited:
OK, thanks. With the current good weather I'm hoping to get the whole window done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back