Flickering lights confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my house I have 3 lights controlled by rania dimmers, one single and one dual.

Last week I noticed these 3 lights had started to flicker, I presumed some issue with the wiring but none of the other lights on the same circuit were flickering (tried with same type of bulb to test, but nothing).

As a last resort I replaced the bulbs to see if that was the issue and all seemed to be cured, until yesterday.

Now the same 3 are flickering again and I have no idea why.

If it was all lights I would presume wiring, if it was just one light I would presume the dimmer but 3 dimmer controlled lights is just confusing!

Changing the bulbs will have cut power to the dimmers so that might have fixed it but might have been coincidence.

Anyone have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Are they the ones that you have to programme after instaling, if so try re-programming them & check for loose wires while you are there.

They are Lutron Rania dimmers, I've never had to program them.

I have tried cutting the power for a few hours but they're still flickering.

Sounds like a bad connection. Only way is to go through each and check for tight screws and trapped insulation.

Sponsored Links
I'm just confused how it can affect 2 different switches on different lights, yet it seems to happen at the same time.

I will check the connections to be sure though.

If they are on the same floor then they may have been linked in a chain with all the lights on that floor, if you can follow the chain from the consumer unit the problem could well be in the ceiling rose of the previous light fitting.

Well I've taken one of the dimmers out and replaced with a normal switch and the flickering has gone on that light.

Looks like something has killed both of the dimmers, not happy!

Have you checked the loading on the dimmer? Sometimes there is a minimum load for the dimmer to work properly.

Have you checked the loading on the dimmer? Sometimes there is a minimum load for the dimmer to work properly.
Yes it's within the range listed.

They've been in the house 2 years and have been fine up until now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back