Flickering Lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
About 6 months ago, my lights around the house started to flicker every now and then. This has gradually got worse over time. Now they actually go off, along with the telly, the boiler and anything else that requires an electrical feed. All these things only go off for maybe a second or so but they go off. I have tracked it back to my main fuse box. There is a buzzing/crackling sound and the wheel slows as it buzzes/crackles. Do I need a new consumer unit or is it something that can be fixed?
The unit is a "MEMERA 21" and it has a ELCB on it. The buzz/crackle seems to come from the ELCB.
There have been no additions to the electrical circuits in this time

Thanks in advance

Peadee

Sponsored Links
Hello Peadee.
Seeing as this problem has already existed for 6 months or so, I would advise you to get things looked at by an electrician as soon as you can.

It could be a loose connection or the ELCB 'breaking down' amongst other things ?, because of the nature of the problem, even if you have a means of measuring voltage I would not go 'poking around' in your C/U. or the DNO's set-up.

Are you sure that it's a ELCB you have, not an RCD ??

Your electrician may be able to simply replace the 'component' rather than fit a new C/U (if thats where the fault exists). They will also be able to carry out the relevant testing and inspection too ;) .

The sooner the better methinks.
Regards
Ed

Well, here's what happened next.
I got the kids from school today. Got home and started making tea. Schwartz Spicy Meatballs, try em, they're good. Halfway hrough the light's went off, the XboX went off, the PC went off and everything else in the house. 30 seconds later, it all came back on. This ain't good, I thought. So, I rang my supplier and they put me in touch with United Utilities. I rang them and they had a man here within the hour. He checked it out and the problem was their main supply fuse. It was old, ceramic and well goosed!!. He left and 2 men arrived a couple of hours later and replaced the whole thing. Everything working now, no flickering anymore. Job sorted. Thanks for the advice given

Peadee

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back